John Stuart McCaig (sometimes styled as John Stuart McCaig of Muckairn and Soroba)
- second son of Malcom [sic] McCaig (a farmer) and Margaret Stewart (6 June 1796-2 August 1865)
- born at Clachan, Isle of Lismore, Argyll, Scotland on 11 July 1823
- baptised at St Moluag's Cathedral, Lismore.
- He is recorded in various census and documents as
- being a draper's assistant(1851 Census);
- Inspector of Poor(1861 Census);
- Merchant(1871 Census);
- Banker(1881 English Census and 1891 Scottish Census; Death Certificate)
- Gas-Works Director.(1901 Census)
- He owned the North Pier in Oban and was forced to sell/rent it to the newly formed Harbour Authority in 1895.
He had 8 siblings, none are known to have married