George Street
postcard of George Street Oban from a collection

Boyd & Co1

  • Printers
  • George Street, Oban where?
  • receipt dated dated 24 May 1906
  • also stamped John Burrows

Black & Skinner. General Drapers

  • 8 George Street, Oban
  • Bill Head dated 16 April 1922
  • from item for sale on Ebay
  • Receipt to The Hall, Easdale
  • Ladies and Gentleman's Costumiers and Outfitters

Andrew Calderwood, The Oban Ironmongery

  • 14.16 & 18 George Street, Oban
  • Bill Head dated 28 May 1895
  • from item for sale on Ebay
  • Receipt to M D MacGregor for _ ___ - too indistinct.

see Argyll Square 1903

James Hutton, Boot Maker

  • 48 George Street, Oban
  • Receipt dated 16 August 1897
  • Customer was Dr McKelvie

Archibald MacArthur & Son, Plumbers and Lead Merchants

  • November 1905
  • item sold on Ebay
  • to Mr McGregor
  • 119 George Street, Oban
  • Bill Head dated 8 July 1910
  • from item for sale on ebay
  • This was where Stitch Nine used to be until very recently
  • PA34 5NT
  • ? British Heart Foundation now?


Robert E.H.Higgins Oban Express

  • 120 George Street, Oban
  • Billhead dated 27 August 1898
  • invoice to St Columbas Church
  • from item for sale on Ebay (not by me)
  • PA34 5NT

This billhead predates the existing building at this address, which is listed in the Canmore records - where the image to the right comes from. It is recorded as being taken in 2002 - what is there now?
It is a listed building - here is its Historic Scotland details
Dated 1901. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay Jacobethan style office building, with rectangular plan, near-symmetrical street frontage of red polished ashlar.
W (GEORGE STREET) ELEVATION: entrance door in right hand bay at ground. Double-leaf panelled door, glazed upper panels. Stone panelled lintel with 9-pane radial fanlight above, architraved, and surmounted with carved foliate spandrels. Base course, with paired fluted consoles above, and string course at cill level. Bays divided vertically by partially fluted pilasters, with entasis, stylised Ionic capitals. Door pilasters narrower than others. Pilasters support string course at lintel level, with frieze and open pediments above, at outer bays. Pediments superimposed by cartouches, that to left carved with thistles, shield and lion rampant, both surmounted by crown.
Oriel window corbelled out at 1st floor level, centrally placed, with blind arcaded bays flanking. Foliage details at cill level corners of corbel. 4-light oriel divided by transom, carved detail at centre, full-height angle shafts extending through to parapet, topped with ball finials (2 missing). Parapet panels with robust foliate carving. Substantial dormer breaking scalloped eaves parapet, curvilinear gable with datestone and hung slates. Square shafts at corners, topped with cornice and ball finial. Fixed light windows at ground floor, plate glass lower half, with decorative glazing bar pattern above. Centrally placed 8-pane sash and case window with smaller bipartite 8-pane sash and case windows to either side, above string course. Ovolo moulded string course above, tied in with frame of datestone.

Strip pilasters framing facade, extend into square shafts at parapet, corniced, with ball finials. Right hand finial free-standing, left hand finial engaged with corner of neighbouring building. Cast-iron downpipes on pilasters looped by oriel lintel course. Grey slate roof, skew on S facing gable. Modern 2-storey, brick extension to rear.

Dean of Guild, Argyll & Bute District Council.

Dean of Guild Court index records during 1901 "Erect bank with dwelling house above, for Hosack & Sutherland, Solicitors". This is a high quality building which fits well into the streetscape despite the richness of its detailing.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under GNU Free Documentation License.